Friday, November 14, 2008

BBQ Tempeh w/Bell Peppers...no hope for it, sigh!

But. Will I try it again? Yes, most definitely, but the next time I'll leave out the tamari. I did learn something, tho: If the recipe calls for tamari, use tamari and not soy sauce, lol. Last night I did some checking up, and it seems that tamari isn't as salty as soy sauce, so that was one thing wrong, plus I just feel like the recipe calls for too much tamari anyway. That's just my opinion, yours may differ. Anyway, here's the recipe, and it originally came from the "Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook," which is just about at the top of my Christmas list this year, along with "Vegan with A Vengeance."

BBQ Tempeh with Bell Peppers

1/2 C tamari 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar 4 tsp. lemon juice 2 tsp. honey
8 oz. of tempeh 1C sliced onion 2 red or green peppers, cut in strips

1/4 C tomato paste 1-2 Tbs. molasses 1-2Tbs. packed brown sugar
2tsp. prepared mustard 2tsp. apple cider vinegar 1tsp. ea. minced garlic, and chili powder. Salt and pepper to taste.

1. Mix tamari, rice vinegar, lemon juice and honey in a bowl.
2. Put tempeh in, covering with the marinade. Cover, and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, turning every once in a while. Drain tempeh, reserve marinade, and cube the tempeh.
3. Spray large, non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray, and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onions, bell peppers, and tempeh, and cook, stirring, until veggies are just tender, about 5 minutes(my idea of tender and the cookbook's idea of tender are two different ideas, btw. I'm from the North, and I like my veggies very tender, thank you!!).
4. Add marinade, tomato paste, molasses, sugar, mustard, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, and 3/4C or water to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cook, uncovered, until mixture thickens, mashing tempeh with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

I had it with mashed potatoes and...gasp...canned French style green beans. The potatoes and the beans were great, lol. Anyway, the next time I try this, and I do have some more tempeh in my 'fridge, I'm going to also use a...gasp again...bottled bbq sauce. That just might make a difference, eh?

If you do try it, or if you've made it before, feel free to let me know your feelings about it. I suppose it's quite possible that I'm the only vegetarian in the United States that doesn't really care for tempeh, sigh. But then, I also don't like basil, horseradish, okra, or black-eyed peas, either!!!! So, until next time, have a good meal, ok?

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Sorry to hear your BBQ didn't work out. But I admire you being so adventurous. Keep it up !

Click to Mix and Solve Click for Mableton, Georgia Forecast