Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Correction For Apple & Peach Cake; Tofu in honey bbq sauce(non-vegan)

Not so much a correction, as an addition for the Apple & Peach cake, because I forgot something in the directions. I didn't tell you how to put the fruit in the cake, and that's what the cake is all about: The apple and peaches, lol. Duh, right? Anyway, the way I did it was to scatter the fruit over the top of the batter once it was in the 13X9 pan, and then, with very clean fingers, I poked the pieces down into the batter, leaving just a little bit of each chunk showing. The reason for this was that I figured that if I just stirred them into the batter, they'd all sink to the bottom of the cake, and I didn't want that. This way, they still sunk some, but not as badly, and were distributed nicely throughout the cake. So, that's my correction/addition, whatever you want to call it.

Point of pride: One of my dearest friends, a soul-sister, if you wish, came to visit for a little while yesterday evening. She's an omnivore, tofu or tempeh is NOT in her menu plans, lol. Even so, I cut her a slice of the cake and brought it to her. She really, really liked it, so then I told her she'd just eaten tofu, lol. Since her computer isn't working right now, I was letting her use mine to email her daughter, and she said to the daughter, "Guess what? I like tofu...especially in apple and peach spice cake!" Score ten for the tofu, and five for the omnivore, lol!

The tofu in honey bbq sauce isn't a recipe at all. After draining and pressing half a block of tofu, I crumbled it up into a skillet with melted butter in it, and just let it sog around over medium heat until it started tanning a little bit. Then I doused it good with smoked paprika, enough to turn all the crumbles red, and let that sog around for a few minutes, too. Then I grabbed a bottle of Kroger store brand honey bbq sauce, and poured it over the tofu until it looke like enough(being really precise here, aren't I?), and stirred it around until it got good and hot. I spooned some of it onto a plate, along with some green peas and a baked potato, and that's all there is to it. And it was awfully good, with enough leftovers for the same meal a couple nights later.

If you don't already know how, draining and pressing tofu is an easy task, it just takes some time. Open the package of tofu and dump it into a strainer lined with cheesecloth(I use coffee filters), place cheesecloth on top of it, and on top of that, set a can of beans or some other canned goods. And I almost forgot: before you dump the tofu into the strainer, place the strainer over a bowl or a saucepan, just something to keep the water from going all over the place...don't ask me how I learned that one, ok? Another "duh" moment, lol! Anyway, let it sit for at least 20 minutes, more if you want to. That's all there is to it.

Until next time, Happy Eating!

No comments:

Click to Mix and Solve Click for Mableton, Georgia Forecast