Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Veggin' at the Steakhouse

As I mentioned in a previous post, my omnivore Dad took me, my granddaughter, and my new great-grandson to the Longhorn Steakhouse this past Friday, the 8th, for an early Mother's Day dinner. The g'daughter and Dad both had sirloins, the great-g'son just dozed in his chair for the most part, but, gee, what's a vegetarian like me going to eat at a Steakhouse, right?

Well! Let me tell you! They had a Strawberry Pecan salad on the menu, and after reading the ingredients in it, that's what I chose. This salad was a mix of baby greens, with strawberries, pecans, red seedless grapes, red onion, mandarin oranges, feta cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette. To die for! I asked that the oranges be left off, but otherwise, I ate everything else, but it was so big that I took over half of it home. With it I had a baked potato and all I had to drink was a glass of ice water...it was too late for coffee.

My dessert was huge. It was so big that Dad, the g'daughter, and I couldn't finish it, and I took over half of it home, too. Along with two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream(and remember, I can't eat dairy foods, sigh), there were two mile-high slices of chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate mousse, covered with a, well, maybe it was a ganache. I've never had ganache before, or at least if I have, I didn't realize it, but this might have been. It wasn't a hard layer of chocolate, and it wasn't really a frosting, so...choose a name for it, and that's what I'll call it, lol. Sooooo, over half of that went home with me, too. The next day, Dad and I each had some more of it, and both of us thought that it was better the second day, altho we couldn't figure out why, lol. I finished the last of it Sunday afternoon, after work.

Saturday evening, Dad and I went with my best friend and her fella to an all-you-can-eat buffet, called Green Tomato. I had sliced cucumbers, a tiny bit of cottage cheese, some cole slaw, potato salad, and a combo of watermelon and cantaloupe chunks with slice bananas. Then I had a soft dinner roll, some green beans, and then, dessert! Banana pudding, and the banana pudding there is out of this world...and I'm not crazy about banana pudding any other time. But we had gone out there last year, when Dad was here, and I remembered how good that pudding was. And it still is!!!

Dad was here for a week, and we ate out every night except one, the night I cooked the cheese omelettes. He flew home Monday afternoon, and that evening, he and his lady, two of my sisters and the older one's husband were going to have dinner at Applebee's. Near as I can tell, even when he's home with non-vegetarians, he eats out most of the time. It's nice once in a while, but I think it gets old, and most of the time I'd rather eat at JB's Kitchen, lol. Like this evening: I'm going to make another bean/barley/vegetable soup, and some hot biscuits, and will eat like royalty!!!!

So, until next time, Happy Eating!!!

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

You should have invited me over to help with that choccie desert you had I am drooling now !

Click to Mix and Solve Click for Mableton, Georgia Forecast